Adding Dimes, Nickels and Pennies
A penny is worth 1 cent, a nickel is worth 5 cents and a dime is worth 10 cents.
How to add Dimes nickels and pennies.
- Count the number of nickels by fives to find the number of cents the nickels are worth
- Starting at this total, count up by tens for the number of dimes.
- Count the number of pennies by ones starting at the previous total.
Example: How many cents are 4 dimes, 7 nickels and 3 pennies worth?
- Count by fives seven times for the seven nickels 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35
- Count by tens for the 4 dimes: 45, 55, 65, 75
- Count by ones for the 3 pennies: 76, 77, 78
- Answer: 4 dimes, 7 nickels and 3 pennies are worth 78¢