The Least Common Multiple (LCM) is the smallest number that two or more numbers
will divide into evenly.
How to find the Least Common Multiple of two numbers:
- Find the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) of the numbers
- Multiply the numbers together
- Divide the product of the numbers by the GCF.
Example: Find the LCM of 15 and 12
- Determine the Greatest Common Factor of 15 and 12 which is 3
- Either multiply the numbers and divide by the GCF (15*12=180, 180/3=60)
- OR - Divide one of the numbers by the GCF and multiply the answer times the other
number (15/3=5, 5*12=60)