Adding Mixed Numbers with the same Denominator
Mixed numbers consist of an integer followed by a fraction.
How to add two mixed numbers whose fractions have the same denominator:
- Add the numerators of the two fractions
- Place that sum over the common denominator.
- If this fraction is improper (numerator larger than or equal to the denominator) then convert it to a mixed number
- Add the integer portions of the two mixed numbers
- If adding the fractional parts created a mixed number then add its integer portion to the sum.
Example: 3 2/3 + 5 2/3 =
|Add the fractional part of the mixed numbers||2/3 + 2/3 = 4/3|
|Convert 4/3 to a mixed number||4/3 = 1 1/3|
|Add the integer portions of the mixed numbers|| 3 + 5 = 8|
|Add the integer from the sum of the fractions|| 8 + 1 = 9|
|State the final answer:|| 9 1/3|